West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme 2021 - Benefits, Eligibility, Application Procedure
Last Updated : 13 Jan 2022
The West Bengal government has launched the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme for improving the status and wellbeing of girls, specifically those from socio-economically disadvantaged families, through Conditional Cash Transfers. The scheme was launched on 1st October 2013. Till 20th July 2021, a total of 71,43,975 students have benefitted from the scheme. The main objective of the scheme is to help girl students to complete secondary or higher secondary education or equivalent technical or vocational courses and pursue higher education. Another objective of the scheme is to delay marriage at least till the legal age i.e. 18 years thereby reducing the risks involved in early pregnancies and other health conditions. For detailed information about the West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme 2021, read the complete article.
What is Conditional Cash Transfer?
Conditional Cash Transfer is a mechanism under which cash benefit is transferred to the beneficiaries account only if they fulfil the predefined conditions. In the Kanyashree scheme, there are two cash transfer components - the first one is an annual incentive and the second one is a one-time grant. More details about these components are covered below in the ‘Benefits’ section.
Latest Update - The online application process for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme 2021 will begin tentatively in September 2021.
WB Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme - Highlights
West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
Government of West Bengal
Girl students of West Bengal
Financial assistance to girls for continuing studies and delaying early marriage
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme 2021 - Important Dates
Important Dates (Tentative)
Application form begins
Application process closes
West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme: Quick Overview
|Deadline||25 Nov 2021|
|Class / Course||School|
|Scholarship Type||Scholarship for Financially Deprived|
|Awarded Amount||Multiple Awards|
|Age Limit||13 - 18 Years|
|Apply Now||Click here|
Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme - Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship is applicable only for unmarried female students. Apart from this, there are other eligibility conditions for the scheme:
- Must have West Bengal domicile.
- Must be in the age group of 13 to 18 years.
- Must be in class VIII or above in a school/ institution registered in the state and recognised by the state government.
- The student must belong to families whose annual income (from all sources) is ₹ 1,20,000 or less. However, for girls with special needs, orphans, and those in J.J. Homes, the income criterion is waived.
- Girls with special needs but below class VIII can also apply for the scholarship.
- The scheme is also open for various vocational, technical, and sports courses.
Benefits under the WB Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
Benefits under the scheme are disbursed as the following two components:
- First - An annual incentive of ₹ 750 to be paid annually to girls in the age group 13 to 18 years (studying in VIII or above standards) for every year they continue education, provided they are unmarried.
- Second - One-time grant of ₹ 25,000 to be paid after the girl turns 18, provided that she is engaged in an academic/ occupational pursuit and is not married.
Mode of Transfer - The scheme is offered as a means of financial inclusion for empowering adolescent girls and thus, the benefits of the scheme are directly paid into the bank accounts of the girl students which enable them to make their own decision for utilization of the money.
Documents Required for Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
The following documents are required for the WB Kanyashree Prakalpa:
- Passport size photograph
- Aadhar card
- Birth certificate
- Educational certificates
- Ration card
- Income certificate
- Residence certificate
- Candidate’s bank account details
- A statement declaring that the candidate is unmarried
West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme - Application Process
The process for application submission is as under:
- Collect the application form from the institute you are studying in.
- Fill the application form carefully. Ensure that all details are correct.
- Hand over the filled-in application form along with necessary documents to the designated person in your institute.
- The head of the institute will give you an acknowledgement slip for submitting the application. The slip will have details such as form number, applicant’s name, and other details.
After the application details are uploaded successfully on the online portal, a unique Kanyashree ID and Identity Card is generated. These must be handed over to the candidate.
WB Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme - Tracking Application Status
Application status can be tracked through the official website. Here is the procedure for the same:
- Visit the official website at www.wbkanyashree.gov.in.
- Scroll down on the home page to the ‘Track Application’ option.
- Select the year, type of scheme, applicant ID, DoB, and captcha. Submit the details.
- The application status will appear on the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question 1: Can I fill the application form through online mode?
No. The applications are to be submitted to your respective educational institute.
Question 2: Do I need to apply every year for the annual scholarship?
No. Once you have enrolled for the scholarship, you will receive it every year till you turn 18 years old. Your headmaster will renew the scholarship for you.
Question 3: I am studying in a course through an open university. Am I eligible?
Yes. If you fulfil other criteria, you are eligible for the scheme.
Question 4: Is there any application fee for the form submission?
Question 5: Do I need to have my own bank account?
Yes. You must have a bank account in your name and the same name must be filled in the application form.
Subscribe Now for West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme Latest Updates
Subscribe for latest exam notification and never miss an update of our daily tips and tricks from Toppers and Counsellors.