What after completing class 12th?
This is the most common question which keeps haunting the class 12th student. Family, relatives, teachers, neighbours, and friends – everyone poses the question at least once. Some know the answer while most are still searching for it. For the latter, the situation creates a mental pressure. As a result, the pressure results in choosing the wrong career path – a big mistake. While most students get influenced by their peers’ career options and follow them without giving a second thought, others get stuck with their parents’ expectations.
In such situations, we would like to advice not to feel pressurised by repeated questions about your after 12th options. Take a little time and review all the options you have as you are not in such a bad position. Half of the battle is won after class 10th when you decide about the stream you are interested in – Science, Commerce or Arts. Now you just have to look for the options available in your interested stream.
No one is better aware of your capabilities than you. So, without considering anything else, think about your interest. After all this decision will shape your entire life and you will make it big only if you love your work. So, through this article, we would just like to provide some options you can consider before making any choice.
Choices after class 12th at a glance
Stream in Class 12th
Field of Career
Engineering & Technology, Architecture, Commercial Pilot, Merchant Navy, All Arts and Commerce Group Fields
Medical, Pharmacy, All Arts and Commerce Group Fields
Chartered Accountant, Company Secretary, Banking, Finance, and Management
Fashion Designing, Journalism, Tourism, Interior Designing, Animation and Multimedia
For all Streams (Science, Commerce and Arts)
Law, Management, Fashion, Textile, Air Hostess, Hotel Management, Social Work and Library Science, Ethical Hacking
Let’s have a detailed look on all these options stream-wise:
Students in Science stream have the option to choose from Mathematics and Biology. Thus, Science stream can be further divided into:
- PCM (Physics – Chemistry – Mathematics)
- PCB (Physics – Chemistry – Biology)
Here are the options exclusively available for the students who opt for PCM or PCB. There are students who go for both Mathematics and Biology (PCMB). Such students have both the options mentioned under PCM and PCB.
PCM (Physics - Chemistry - Mathematics)
- Engineering & Technology: You can earn a B.E. or B.Tech. degree after completing a 4 years programme in Engineering or Technology. You can choose from different branches such as computer science, civil, mechanical, electronic, electrical, petroleum, chemical and many more.
- Architecture: A course in architecture includes learning to design the structures of various buildings such as churches, offices, factories, hospitals, airports, etc. The duration of B.Arch course is 5 years and students can get admission through NATA exam conducted by the National Institute of Advanced Studies and Architecture.
- Commercial Pilot: Career as a commercial pilot can be pursued by joining a private training academy or appearing in the NDA/CDS exam conducted by UPSC.
- Merchant Navy: Admission in merchant navy courses is done after qualifying an entrance examination and screening test.
Apart from these, students can also go for all courses listed in the Commerce and Arts section.
PCB (Physics - Chemistry - Biology)
Generally, students who opt for Biology have an interest in medical career. Here are the options available for them.
- Medical (MBBS or BDS): For joining a medical course, there are only three exams across India – NEET, AIIMS MBBS and JIPMER MBBS. You can appear in any one or all of these for getting admission into MBBS or BDS.
- Pharmacy: This course is of 2 to 3 years of duration. It includes studying about drugs formulation, chemical analysis, research, development of new drugs, etc. It is a good alternative for those who are not able to qualify for MBBS.
PCB students can also consider the options provided under Commerce and Arts section.
Commerce students have a vast range of options as follows:
- Chartered Accountant: This is the most popular and reputed career option for commerce students. After completing the course, one can work as in the areas of cost accounting, tax management, consultancy or work in the finance industry. The duration of the course is 5 years.
- Company Secretary: The work profile of a company secretary is to take care of legal activities of the business, keep records, tax returns, etc. The course is of 3 years duration.
After 12th Arts, students can go for the traditional Art stream courses related to music, painting, dancing etc. Or can go for the courses which are suitable for all stream students such as:
- Art-related Courses: You can pursue courses such as visual arts, literary arts, and performing arts. Both diploma and degree courses are available in all these disciplines. They are especially designed for students who have a keen interest in Arts.
- Fashion Designing: With modernisation, the demand for fashion experts is continuously rising. The course is famous among students with creative skills. You can go for a certificate, diploma or degree level course.
- Mass Communication: The course includes learning about media, journalism, films, and ads. You can get a job opportunity in news channels, TV shows, publishing houses and related industry. You can enrol for a 1 year diploma course or a 3 years degree course.
For All Streams
If you don’t find anything interesting in your own stream, don’t worry. There are a lot of options which are not stream-specific. They just require you to pass class 12th. Most of these courses are of short durations and are job-oriented. Check out the list of such courses:
- Finance and Management
- Fashion Designing
- Textile Designing
- Air Hostess
- Hotel Management
- Social Work
- Library Science
- Ethical Hacking
- Animation and Multimedia
- Interior Designing
- Event Management
We hope the information provided here would help you in making a well-informed career decision. Also check out the - Top Professional Courses after 12th.