UGC National Fellowship for OBC, Get an M. Phil, Ph. D Degree
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment gives National Fellowships to OBC (Other Backward Caste) candidates. The UGC (University Grant Commission) has taken the responsibility to implement this scholarship programme. This scholarship is for those OBC students who are pursuing higher education like M. Phil, PhD in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology on the full-time basis.
UGC OBC National Fellowship 2018 Latest Notification: The last date to apply for the UGC National Fellowship for OBC was 30th July 2018. As of now, there is no official announcement for the next academic year which begins in 2019. For more information regarding the program, stay connected with Exams Planner.
UGC National Fellowship for OBC: Quick Overview
|Deadline||30 Jul 2018|
|Class / Course||Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Technology, Engineering|
|Scholarship Type||Post Graduate, Master & Doctoral Programs|
|Awarded Amount||25,000 per month (for JRF) and 28,000 per month (for SRF)|
|Apply Now||Click here|
Eligibility for the UGC OBC (NF)
It is important for each student to meet the criteria given below: -
- A candidate should belong to the OBC category. He/ she should have an OBC certificate.
- The total annual family income of the candidate should be 6 lakhs or less.
- A candidate should have taken admission in the M. Phil or PhD programme.
- Selection for the scholarship takes place on the basis of the merit only.
Benefits under the UGC NF (OBC)
Fellowship amount for Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences students for the initial two years is:-
- A student gets ₹25,000 per month (for JRF). He/she later receives ₹28,000 per month (for SRF) after completing the evaluation.
- The total period for the fellowship is 5 years. There is no chance of an extension for this period.
- Blind or PwD candidates receive reimbursement of ₹2,000 per month for availing reader/escort assistance.
A beneficiary receives various contingency grants as well, those are: -
Contingency ‘A’ Grant (Humanities and Social Science students)
10,000 per annum for the initial 2 years and 20,500 per annum for the later years after evaluation
Contingency ‘B’ Grant (For Science, Technology, and Engineering)
12,000 per annum for the initial 2 years and 25,000 per annum in the later years
How to Apply for UGC National Fellowship
Simply follow the steps given below to apply for the scholarship and receive rewards: -
- Go the official website of UGC: https://www.ugc.ac.in/
- On the homepage, locate the “e-SARTS Scholarships-Fellowships” link. (Normally placed on the right side of the homepage)
- A new page will open, wherein the candidate has to select “National Fellowship for OBC Candidate”
- Click on the “Apply Now” option which is available at the top of the page.
- Fill out all the required information with personal and academic details.
- Attach all the required documents in the prescribed format.
- Lastly, click on Submit to submit the form successfully.
- In order to get your application considered, submit it before the deadline.
It is important for each applicant to submit a copy of the original documents. Non-submission of these documents will lead to termination of the scholarship.
- Copy of Caste Certificate OBC
- Copy of Parent’s Annual Income Certificate ( if parent’s income is less than or equal to 6 lacs)
- Recent passport-size Photograph
- Mark-sheet of Masters Degree
- Declaration/Certificate from Head of Department/Institution or University/College
- Proof of Physical Disability (if required)
Terms and Conditions
- The student will receive all the benefits through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer).
- Transgender can also apply for this scholarship.
- The selected beneficiaries get the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for the initial 2 years. Thereafter, a committee evaluates the performance of the student in the two years. If the work of the student is found satisfactory, then he/she receives the benefit of the rest of the 3 years.
- If the candidate’s performance is found unsatisfactory then he/ she will get a chance for improvement in a year.
- A candidate remains a Junior Research Fellow during the evaluation period.
- A committee will again review the performance of the candidate under consideration. If it is found satisfactory then he/ she gets the status and benefits as the SRF for another 2 years. Thus, the UGC NF (OBC) benefit is available for a total of 5 years period only.