Merchant Navy Entrance Exams
All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test (AIMNET)
This exam is conducted by AIMNET Examination Board, which is further managed by Offshore Shipping Academy. The academy is approved by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India. The entrance exam is conducted for admission into B.Sc. Nautical Science, B.Tech Naval Architecture, Diploma of Applied Science (deck watch keeper) by AMSA, G.P. Ratings, B.Tech Marine and MBA (Shipping and Logistic Management).
Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU CET)
IMUCET is conducted by the Indian Maritime University for admission into undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Marine. It takes place in the month of May, while the registration process begins at the end of March. Only unmarried candidates are eligible to appear in the exam.
Merchant Navy Colleges
- Indian Maritime University, Chennai
- Tolani Maritime Institute, Pune
- Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI), Calcutta and Mumbai
- International Maritime Institute, Greater Noida
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
- B.P. Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai
- Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai
- Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Pazhanganadu
Merchant navy fleets consist of container ships, cargo ships, tankers, bulk carriers, barge carrying ships, passenger ships, refrigerators ships, roll on/roll off ships. With so many job opportunities, Merchant Navy can certainly save a thousand of souls from staying jobless.
Some companies which run merchant ships include Wallem Ship Management of Hong Kong, Chevron and Mobil of USA, Denholm of UK, Bibby Ship Management, K Line, d’Amico, etc. Shipping Corporation of India, Essar, Chowgule Shipping and Great Eastern Shipping are some of the popular Indian shipping companies. You can search for vacancies in these companies.
- Deck officer (navigation officer)
- Electro-technical officer (ETO)
- Ratings - ratings are skilled seafarers who help all the officers with daily tasks
- Catering & hospitality crew (pursers, stewards, chef, housekeeper etc.)
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is Merchant Navy?
Merchant Navy includes ships which carry goods and people through sea route. Fuel, building materials, fruits, vegetables and all other imported items are carried by merchant navy fleets.
What are the advantages of joining Merchant Navy?
A career in Merchant Navy offers:
- High income (Tax-Free)
- Quick promotions
- Free accommodation and food while on board
- Long vacations
- Travel experience
What is the best time to join, after 12th or after graduation?
The merchant navy programme itself is a graduation degree. Once a candidate completes his training, he is awarded a B.Sc. degree in Nautical Science by IMU. So, the best option would be to join the course after 12th class. However, you can also join after graduation.
Can I get financial assistance/loan for the course?
Yes, you can get loans for completing a merchant navy course. Once you get selected, you can enquire the institute you wish to join about the financial assistance options available.
Are there ashore employment opportunities?
Yes, there are. If you plan to give up the career in merchant navy after gaining an experience, there are plenty of options for Chief Engineers and Captains in marine-related industries.