Civil Engineering as a Career Option in India After 12th
Published on : 6th September 2018
Being a developing country, India has a massive requirement for infrastructures. Thus, the demand for civil engineers is relatively high. The role of a civil engineer is to create and construct infrastructures such as; roads, canals, dams, buildings, sewage systems, bridges etc. Engineers in this field convert products of imagination into real-world.
By pursuing this course, students will learn how to plan, construct, design, maintain and operate infrastructures while keeping sustainable development in mind. Besides, civil engineers do not just build new infrastructures; they also work on developing the existing ones.
Eligibility Criteria for Civil Engineering
The job of a civil engineer is very creative, thus to pursue a civil engineering course, every student requires to fulfil specific criteria: -
- Any student who has completed class 10th with an aggregate of at least 50% can apply for the diploma courses.
- The student needs to complete class 12th to pursue an undergraduate programme.
- Mathematics and Physics are the compulsory subjects to pursue a degree and diploma course in Civil Engineering.
- To apply for a Masters degree, having a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering is a must.
Important Courses and Subjects
There are different graduate and postgraduate courses in civil engineering. They are as follows:-
- Diploma in Civil & Rural Engineering
- Advance Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil Infrastructure Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Ceramics & Cement Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil & Transportation Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Building Technology & Construction Management
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Civil Structural Design
A range of subjects under Civil Engineering are: -
- Basics of Civil Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics
- Elements of Electrical Engineering
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Elements of Surveying
- Mechanics of Solids
- Engineering Graphics
- Engineering Physics
- Computer Programming and Utilization
- Introduction to Transportation Engineering
Subscribe Now for Civil Engineering Latest Updates
Subscribe for latest exam notification and never miss an update of our daily tips and tricks from Toppers and Counsellors.
The duration for a full-time diploma, graduation and post-graduation courses in Civil Engineering are:-
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years
- Diploma – 3 years
Top Entrance Exams
Numerous colleges and universities across India offer admissions in the Civil Engineering field. Students need to go through entrance tests that take place at a National, State or University level. Some educational institutes also select candidates based on the merit list of IIT JEE.
Here’s a list of top entrance exams for Civil Engineering: -
- IIT JEE Main 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- IIT JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- UPSEE 2019 Exam (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- VITEEE 2019 (Vellore Engineering Entrance Examination)
- IPU CET 2019 (Indra Prastha University Common Entrance Test)
- COMEDK UGET 2019 (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- KCET 2018 Exam (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- MHT-CET Exam 2018 (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
Top Colleges offering admissions in Civil Engineering are: -
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS - Pilani)
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
Jobs and Career
There are several job opportunities for Civil Engineers in both the public and private sectors. In fact, this field is the most useful field that takes India towards development. Students require tremendous self-motivation and enthusiasm to pursue a career in it.
It is a common assumption that only construction or real-estate industries require civil engineers. But they may as well find work in railways, petroleum, power and electric utilities, chemical or oil and energy industries.
Job Titles of Civil Engineering: -
- Civil Engineer
- Project Manager
- Purchase and Quality Control Executive
- Site Engineer
- Assistant Project Manager
- Assistant Civil Engineer
- Planning and Design Officer
Government and private sectors offer handsome salary packages to civil engineers. A fresher receives packages starting from ₹3 lakhs to ₹5 lakhs per annum. With ample experience and handling of projects, the overall package reaches up to ₹20 lakhs per year.
Even abroad, engineers with experience can get $60000/annum to $100000 per annum.
Famous companies of different sectors that hire civil engineers are: -
- Sobha Developers Ltd
- Maytas Infra Ltd
- Shapoorji Pallonji
- TATA consulting engineers Ltd
- Land Transport Authority etc
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd
- European Contracting
- Ralls Contracting
- Black Cat Eng
- Sedrat Al Khaleej
- MedGulfPunj Lloyds Ltd
- White Young
- Shapoorji and Pallonji
- Double Crown
- Specialized Contracting
- Unicon Development Constructions
- PAC Constructions