JEE Main 2022 Eligibility Criteria - Attempts, Age Limit and Qualification
The National Testing Agency has released the official JEE Main 2022 eligibility criteria in the information brochure. You can take a look at the eligibility conditions and understand the same before filling in the online application form. To make things easier for you, the team at Exams Planner has drawn the eligibility of the JEE Main exam 2022 according to the already announced bulletin.
JEE Main Exam 2022 Eligibility Criteria:
- Indian citizens, NRIs, PIOs, OCIs & Foreign national candidates can apply.
Age Limit –
- There is no age limit for JEE Main 2022. Those who have passed the 12th exam in 2020, 2021, or appearing in 2022 are eligible for the 2022 exam irrespective of their age.
- However, there can be institute specific age criteria that the candidates must fulfil.
Education Qualification –
Candidates Who Hold Diploma
Such candidates can apply only for admission to IITs
Minimum Marks Required for Admissions to IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs
75% (65% for SC/ST) in the 12th exam or be in the top 20 percentile of the respective boards
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Exam
Passed the 12th exams in 2020 or 2021
Candidates appearing in the 12th exam in 2022 can apply
Who Can’t Apply
Those who have appeared in the 12th exam in 2019, did not pass in 2019 but passed in 2020, are not eligible.
Have taken the test in 2019 or before
Scroll left or right to view full table
Number of Attempts -
- An aspirant can attempt thrice for the exam consecutively. All sessions in a year will be counted as one attempt.
- It is the same for all the candidates, irrespective of their categories.
Name of the Equivalent Examination to Appear in JEE Main -
- 12th Board Examination
- Intermediate or 2 Year Pre-University Examination of a Board/University
- National Institute of Open Schooling or NIOS Senior Secondary Examination
- The examination of any school/board/university in the foreign country recognized by Associate Of Indian Universities (AIU)
Number of Subjects in Class XII or Qualifying Examination -
- In order to write the JEE MAIN 2022 exam, the applicants must have taken 5 subjects in the qualifying examination, i.e. Class 12th.
- Anyone who has opted for 4 subjects would not be allowed to apply for the exam.
- Providing wrong information while filling in the online form would further result in the cancellation of their candidature.
No of Attempts and Age Limit for States of Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland and Odisha -
- As the three states, Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland and Odisha, have joined the JEE (Main) system since 2014, the number of attempts and the age limit will be as per the past practice.
Reservation Criteria -
- Non-Creamy Layer OBC: 27%
- SC: 15%
- ST: 7.5%
- PwD with 40% or more Disability: 3%
Improvement Exam -
- If a candidate has passed the Class 12th/ equivalent exam in 2020 but is taking an improvement exam in 2021 for a few subjects, in such cases, the top 20 percentile marks of 2020 will be considered.
- If he is taking an improvement exam for all the subjects, the highest aggregate marks of the two years will be considered.
Aadhar Card Criteria -
- Without an Aadhar Card, the candidates will not be able to apply for the exam. They should have one issued by the UIDAI to apply for the JEE Main 2022 exam.
- The candidates from Assam, Meghalaya, and Jammu & Kashmir are not required to fill in any Aadhar Card details in their applications. However, they are required to give their Passport Number/ Ration card details/ Bank account number or any other identifying details.
- The applicants must ensure that their Aadhar Card details are valid and match with their Name, Date of birth, address and other details. In case there are some mistakes in the card, candidates should get it corrected immediately. JEE Main Applications with the wrong Aadhar details will be rejected.