IIT M.Tech. – Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, and More
IITs, the Indian Institutes of Technology, are among the prestigious educational institutes of the country and are of national importance. Studying at these institutes is a matter of pride and opens doors to a lot of opportunities.
IIT M.Tech. surely offers some of the best career opportunities, a deep insight into the subject of your choice, opportunity to research the topic you are interested and a lot of other benefits. Candidates can opt from Regular (full-time), part-time, or sponsored courses.
Here we have listed important details regarding IIT M.Tech. admissions. Scroll down to know more.
IIT M.Tech. Admission Process
Every IIT releases its admission notice. GATE qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the course. Such candidates are required to fill-in the application form providing their choice of specialisation. Please go through the eligibility criteria before applying for the course.
After the application process is over, the result is declared, and candidates are called for the counselling process. They are required to be physically present at the venue of the counselling with all the documents needed to secure their M.Tech. seats.
Some IITs also conduct their written test for few courses. So, candidates have to clear such exams also.
IIT M.Tech. Eligibility Criteria
Admission to M.Tech. programmes offered by various IITs is done on the basis of GATE score. The GATE score is considered valid for three years so a candidate can take admission to IIT M.Tech programmes within three years of qualifying the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Thus, the common eligibility criteria for M.Tech. admissions at all IITs is :
- A valid GATE score.
Each IIT releases individual admission notice and have different guidelines. Thus, candidates are required to check the eligibility criteria of the institute they are applying for. Some IITs also exempt candidates from submitting GATE score provided they fulfil certain criteria.
IIT M.Tech. Specialisation
Master’s programme by IIT is offered in various subjects. Candidates can choose from the following specializations:
- M.Tech. in Engineering Mechanics
- M.Tech. in Chemical Engineering
- M.Tech. in Rock Engineering and Underground Structure
- M.Tech. in Structure Engineering
- M.Tech. in Construction Technology and Management
- M.Tech. in Water Resources Engineering
- M.Tech. in Construction Engineering and Management
- M.Tech. in Transportation Engineering
- M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering and Management
- M.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering
- M.Tech. in Computer Technology
- M.Tech. in Computer Applications
- M.Tech. in Control and Automation
- M.Tech. in Power Electronics, Electrical Machines, and Drives
- M.Tech. in Design of Mechanical Equipment
- M.Tech. in Production Engineering
- M.Tech. in Thermal Engineering
- M.Tech. in Textile Engineering
- M.Tech. in Polymer Science and Technology
- M.Tech. in VLSI Design Tools and Technology
For details about more specialization options, check out the official website of respective IIT from where you wish to pursue your Master’s degree.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
Thus, GATE score is the minimum requirement for admission to IIT M.Tech. courses. The exam is conducted once a year generally in February on a rotational basis by seven zonal IITs and IISc.