Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) – Course Details and Career Prospects
Published on : 7th September 2018
Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is the most sought-after field of Engineering. It is a combination of computer science and computer engineering. The demand for CSE graduates and post-graduates is huge, especially in the Information Technology (IT) Sector. With the growing usage of smart-phones and computers, the need for computer science engineers has increased as well.
Students of CSE get to study about the design, data structures, operating systems and troubleshooting of computing devices. They can pursue B.E or B.Tech in Computer Science and after that opt for M.E or M.Tech in Computer Science.
Eligibility Criteria for Computer Science and Engineering
The requirements to pursue a Computer Science and Engineering course are: -
- Any student who has completed class 10th may apply for the CSE Diploma course.
- To apply for the undergraduate programme, i.e. B.E or B.Tech, the student needs to complete class 12th with Science and Maths and should fulfil the percentage criteria.
- Science and Mathematics are the compulsory subjects to pursue a degree and diploma course in Computer Science and Engineering.
- To apply for M.E or M.Tech course, a B.E or B.Tech degree is a must.
Duration for Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The duration for a full-time diploma, graduation and post-graduation courses in CSE is:-
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years
- Diploma – 3 years
There is a vast range of subjects under Computer Science and Engineering. The list of those courses includes: -
- Computer architecture and organisation
- Database systems
- Theory of computation
- Java Programming and Website Design
- Software Engineering
- Operating systems
- E-commerce & ERP and Multimedia Applications
- Foundations of Computer Systems
- Principles of Programming Languages
Subscribe Now for Computer Science and Engineering Latest Updates
Subscribe for latest exam notification and never miss an update of our daily tips and tricks from Toppers and Counsellors.
Top Engineering Entrance Exams
Several Indian colleges and universities offer admissions in the Computer Engineering field. Some institutes conduct entrance tests at a National, State or University level while others select candidates based on the merit list of IIT JEE.
Here’s a list of top entrance exams for CSE: -
- IIT JEE Main 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- IIT JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- UPSEE 2019 Exam (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- VITEEE 2019 (Vellore Engineering Entrance Examination)
- IPU CET 2019 (Indra Prastha University Common Entrance Test)
- COMEDK UGET 2019 (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- KCET 2018 Exam (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- MHT-CET Exam 2018 (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
Top Engineering Colleges
Top Colleges offering admissions in Computer Science and Engineering are: -
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST)
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal
Jobs and Career
After completing a Computer Science and Engineering course, a student has plenty of job and career options. CSE students are fit for job fields like IT, Multimedia, Database Management, Multimedia, Web Designing, Computer Hardware and Software Implementation/Maintenance, Gaming.
Job Titles for CSE are: -
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Project Manager
- System Designer
- Engineering Support Specialist
- Quality Assurance or Test Engineer
- E-Commerce Specialist
- Database Administrator
- Data Warehouse Analyst
Computer Science Engineers receive attractive salary packages in both government and private sectors. A fresher in India can get a package ranging from 2-3 lakhs per annum. In abroad, the salary package is relatively high.
Engineers can expect a two times hike in their salaries after gaining a minimum experience of 2 years. The package also depends on the number of projects an engineer has completed successfully.
Some of the reputed companies that hire Computer Science engineers are: -
- Tech Mahindra
- Sun Microsystems