Aeronautical Engineering (AE) - Courses, Career, Jobs, Salary
Published on : 7th September 2018
Aeronautical Engineering deals with the designing, production, and maintenance of aeroplanes and aircraft. An aeronautical engineer uses scientific principles to research and develop different kinds of machines that move in the air or space.
In this field of engineering, students learn about the construction materials and aerodynamic performance of a military or civil aircraft. They also test, evaluate and assemble their components to ensure safe operations. The job of an engineer of this discipline is to agree on budgets, timescales, government regulations and other.
Eligibility Criteria for Aeronautical Engineering (AE)
Aeronautical engineering involves the study of aerodynamics and to pursue this course every student needs to meet specific criteria:
- Students who have completed class 10th and are good in subjects like mathematics and science can apply for the diploma course.
- Students who have completed class 12th with Science and have opted for Physics, Chemistry and Maths PCM as major subjects are eligible to take admissions in the undergraduate programme. They need to have good percentage too.
- To study the postgraduate programme, the student requires to have a Bachelors degree (B.E./ B.Tech).
There are courses available for aeronautical engineering at different levels. The duration for each of them is:
- Polytechnic Diploma – 3 years
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years
In aeronautical engineering, students focus on the following areas of study:-
- Structural Analysis
- Air Turbine Production
- Material Science
- Fundamentals and advanced study of Propulsion theory
- Electronic theory
- Control theory
- Fluid dynamics
- Instrumentation and Communication
- Computer Programming
Subscribe Now for Aeronautical Engineering Latest Updates
Subscribe for latest exam notification and never miss an update of our daily tips and tricks from Toppers and Counsellors.
Top Aeronautical Engineering Entrance Exams
To apply for the aeronautical engineering course in the top Indian colleges, students need to clear their entrance exams. These exams take place at University, State or National level. Several institutes also offer admissions based on the merit list of JEE Main.
Here’s a list of top entrance exams for Aeronautical Engineering:
- JEE Main 2019 (All India Joint Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Joint Entrance Examination)
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- IISAT (Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Admission Test)
- IPU CET 2019 (Indra Prastha University Common Entrance Test)
- IIAE (Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering Entrance Exam)
- SLIET SET (Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology Entrance Exam)
- CEE (Combined Entrance Examination, Delhi University)
- SRMJEEE (SRM Joint Entrance Examination)
Some of the top colleges to seek admissions in the Aeronautical Engineering course are:
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay)
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur)
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur)
- Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dehradun
- Indian Institute for Aeronautical Engineering & Information Technology, Pune
- Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science, Chennai
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Punjab
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Kerala
Jobs and Career
With the development of technology, the demand for aeronautical engineers is increasing at a good pace. There is broad scope for these engineers in both government and private sectors. They can find jobs in fields like; aviation organisations, air turbine production plants, design, and development areas, aircraft ventures, management companies, aircraft industrialised divisions, and teaching/coaching institutes.
Job Titles of Aeronautical Engineering:
- Aircraft Production Manager
- Thermal Design Engineer
- Graduate Engineer Trainees
- Aerospace Designer Checker
- Assistant Technical Officers
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- System Safety Management Engineer
- Assistant Aircraft Engineers
Aeronautical engineers get handsome salary packages in India as well as abroad. In India, these engineers get a salary of ₹5 lakhs to ₹6 lakhs per annum. Their salaries depend on their experience and job positions.
Students from reputed colleges get salaries up to ₹10 lakhs per annum. The need for these engineers is high specifically in the government sector.
In foreign countries, they get pay packages ranging from $70,000 to $100,000 per year.
Many companies are looking for innovative aeronautical engineers. Some of the famous companies that value these engineers are: -
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Helicopter Corporation of India
- Defence Research and Development Organisation
- Air India
- Civil Aviation Department
- Indian Coast Guard
- Defence Research and Development Laboratory
- Aeronautical Development Establishment
- National Aerospace Laboratories
- Private Air Lines
- Mahindra Defence Systems