Air Hostess Job and Career Scope - 10 Things you should know about being an Air Hostess
Most of the young girls dream of becoming Air hostesses. Working as an air hostess is an entirely different experience in life. The opportunity of travelling across the world, meeting people from different cultures, travelling with famous personalities, and earning an attractive salary. However, no matter how many perks do you have in the job, it does require a lot of hard work. An air hostess has to always remain available for taking care of passengers, pilots, and other crew members. She is responsible for the safety and well-being of passengers during the flight. So, all the young girls, who are dreaming of becoming one, should be aware of the things an air hostess need to do during the flight. The lucrative Air hostess salary is just one part of their perks. Here is the article, we will be discussing the job profile/description and career scope of an air hostess.
Air Hostess Job Profile/Description
Air Hostesses also known as flight attendants or stewardesses have the responsibility of providing safety and comfort to passengers throughout the flight, conducting safety checks, and helping passengers in deplaning after landing. The job description of an air hostess can be categorised as under:
An air hostess is responsible for the following on-ground duties:
- Keeping the emergency and medical kits ready in the aircraft before the flight.
- Ensuring that the toilets are clean and hygienic before the flight.
- Getting enough meals and beverages on the basis of the number of passengers.
- Greeting passengers, checking their tickets, helping them load the luggage, and settling on their seats.
- The windows are open and the eating trays are closed during the take-off.
- Demonstrating the passengers about the emergency exits and emergency equipment.
- Informing the pilot when the plane is ready to take off.
- Making announcements on behalf of the pilot.
- Serving meals and beverages to passengers.
- Selling duty-free products.
- Checking that the passengers have fastened their seat belts before taking off.
- Being prepared for medical emergencies.
- Helping passengers vacate the plane during emergencies.
- Making a list of the lost and found articles.
- Evaluating the cash and stock left after the landing of the plane.
- Checking the stock of duty-free goods.
Air Hostess Career Scope
The air hostess career requires constant skill development such as learning new languages, getting advanced training, etc. in order to seek promotions. The career ladder comprises of the following stages:
- Senior Air Hostess
- Lead Air Hostess
- Check Air Hostess
- Base Manager
- Manager of in-flight operations
They can also get transferred to other departments such as human resources or risk management on acquiring required training.
Some Important Facts Related to the Air Hostess Job
1. The training may well be the toughest thing you have done
An Air Hostess is a responsible cabin crew member, and they are required to go through the robust training process before going on board. There are so many things, which they are supposed to learn and prove themselves. The training process will test their memory, how they evaluate risk, their manual dexterity, their use of routines, their patience, the way they follow procedures and instructions, their ability to make tough decisions.
2. They Know How to Survive in Extreme Conditions
Air hostesses are trained in such a way so that they can survive in extreme living conditions. These conditions could be anything from a plane crash to a hijacking of the flight. Survival training is one of the many skills; an air hostess is trained in. So, they know how to create a shelter, gather food, find safe drinking water and attract help in the Arctic, jungle, rainforests and deserts; to make sure that the onboard passengers are safe.
3. Not all airlines will be looking for the same things
If you are applying for different airlines, then their eligibility criteria and required skill sets could be different. A candidate should prepare and work accordingly to be selected by their desired company.
4. They Are Trained to Deliver Babies on Board
An Air hostess training also includes how to safely deliver babies until the emergency services can take over on the ground. This is a great skill to learn; this allows an air hostess to save two lives.
5. Trained to Perform Hand-to-Hand Combat
Baby delivery is one of the exceptional skills an Air hostess has, but there are other skills too like hand-to-hand combat. This skill is helpful to tackle unruly passengers and hijacking situations. An Air hostess is trained to fight back and are taught defence technique as well.
6. Someone’s survival may depend on you
Air hostess training includes providing first aid to unwell and injured passengers, CPR training and other basic survival techniques to deal with any health issue. They have to be the pro with it. Additionally, they will be evaluated every year to ensure that their skills are still up to date and they are ready to help.
7. They Often Double As Ticketing Agents
An Air hostess is supposed to prepare for a multitasking personality. They will be trained to work as an air hostess; as well as a ticketing agent or a ground staff.
8. They are not allowed to gain weight
Going overweight is a big 'NO' for an air hostess. They are not allowed to increase the weight; though, this is good to keep yourself healthy and fit. When an air hostess gains some pounds, they have to lose the gained weight in the next 30 days.
9. Grooming standards are strict
The grooming standards are strict for an air hostess. The air hostess job profile requires them to look immaculate. They are trained to follow grooming standards strictly. They have to be dressed in such a way that their clothes, makeup, and footwear all should be as per the rule book and should look flawless.
10. You will have the best fun of your life!
Finally, let's talk about the perks of being an air hostess. Once candidates have followed the strict air hostess training that has led them to a responsible job; then being on the job, they get to have some fun too. One of the best advantages of being an air hostess is that with time they will get to see the world and explore destinations. The majority of the other jobs can’t give this benefit for sure.
Also read -