Textile Engineering – Courses and Career Details
Textile Engineering is a process where scientific knowledge is used to manufacture fabrics and garments. As India is known for its vibrant culture and clothing, thus makes the textile industry one of the most flourishing sectors of our country. The development of the textile industry has encouraged several students to pursue Textile Engineering as a career.
Students of this engineering discipline learn everything about the textile industry, from the processing of raw materials to merchandising. The job of a textile engineer is to design and control all aspects of apparel, fibre and yarns. They use chemical and physical principles to analyse polymer behaviour involved in textile fibre.
Eligibility Criteria for Textile Engineering
The criteria to pursue Textile Engineering courses are:
- Any student who has completed class 10th can apply for the diploma in textile engineering.
- To apply for the undergraduate programme, the student needs to complete class 12th with Science - PCM.
- Mathematics and Chemistry are the compulsory subjects to pursue a degree course in Textile Engineering.
- To apply for M.E or M.Tech course, a student must have a B.E or B.Tech degree.
Duration for Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The duration for a full-time diploma, graduation and post-graduation course in textile engineering are:-
- Diploma – 3 years
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years
Textile engineering consists of a wide range of subjects and courses. Here’s a list of courses under different programmes:
- Diploma in Fabrication Technology & Erection Engineering
- Diploma in Textile Technology / Textile Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Textile Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Technology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Chemistry
Students of Textile Engineering focus on the following areas of study: -
- Yarn Formation
- Textile Fibre
- Fabric Formation
- Information Technology in Textile
- Textile Testing & Instruments
- Design & Structure of Fabric
- Processing at Textile Lab
- Chemical Processing of Textiles
Top Entrance Exams
Various Indian colleges and universities offer admissions in textile engineering. They either conduct their entrance exam or give admissions based on the merit list of JEE Main. Students need to score a good rank in the entrance exams to study this course from reputed institutions.
Top entrance exams to pursue textile engineering are:
- JEE Main 2019 (All India Joint Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Joint Entrance Examination)
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- JEEP Exam (Joint Entrance Examination Polytechnic)
- UPSEE 2019 Exam (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- VITEEE 2019 (Vellore Engineering Entrance Examination)
Top Engineering Universities & Colleges
Top Colleges and universities offering admissions in Textile Engineering are:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Jalandhar
- Institute of Information Technology and Management, New Delhi
- Mumbai University, Maharashtra
- Technological Institute of Textiles, Haryana
- UP Textile Technology Institute
- Anna University, Tamil Nadu
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NM)
- Rajasthan Technical University
- College of Textile Technology, West Bengal
Jobs and Career
There is a variety of job opportunities available for textile engineering students. They can either find jobs in Indian companies or MNC’s. There are jobs for them in fields like; raw material management and production, quality control, product designing, merchandise and textile marketing, process controlling, printing, research and development.
Job Titles for Textile Engineers are:
- Process Engineer
- Sales Manager
- Technical Service Engineer
- Development Engineers
- Quality Control Supervisor
Textile engineers start with the pay package of ₹2 lakhs to ₹3 lakhs per annum. They generally get a double hike in their salaries after gaining experience of at least two years. The salary package of a textile engineer also depends on the number of projects they have handled successfully.
Some of the famous companies that hire textile engineers are:
- Bombay Dyeing
- Reliance Textiles
- Grasim Industries
- Mysore Silk Factory
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Mills
- Bhilwara Group
- Lakshmi Machine Works