Chemical Engineering – Courses, Entrance Exam, Admission, Jobs & Career
Chemical Engineering is the use of principles of mathematics, physics, chemistry and economic to produce and transform materials, energy and chemicals. The job of chemical engineers is to design and create processes that convert chemicals and raw materials into useful products. They also set up safety measures for those working with dangerous chemicals on a day-to-day basis.
In this course, students understand the basics of energy and material flow. They learn to operate and supervise plants and equipment to produce chemical products.
Eligibility Criteria for Chemical Engineering Courses
A chemical engineer is involved in various research and development activities, thus to pursue a chemical engineering course, they need to fulfil specific criteria which are:-
- Students who have completed class 10th can apply for a Diploma course.
- Students who have completed class 12th with Science, i.e. with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are eligible to apply for the undergraduate programme.
- To apply for the post-graduate course, the student must have a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering.
Duration for Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The duration for a full-time diploma, undergraduate and post-graduate course in Chemical Engineering are: -
- Diploma (After class 10th) – 3 years
- B.E or B.Tech (After class 12th) – 4 years
- M.E or M.Tech (After graduation)- 2 years
In a chemical engineering course, students focus on the following core subjects:-
- Organic Chemical Technology
- Inorganic Chemical Technology
- Chemical Plant Designing and Operation
- Physical Chemistry
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Pollution Control
- Safety Technology and Management
Top Entrance Exams
Students looking for admissions in top colleges to pursue Chemical Engineering need to pass entrance exams. These exams take place on a University, State and National level. A lot of universities offer admissions based on the merit list of JEE Main as well.
Here’s a list of the top entrance exams for Chemical Engineering: -
- JEE Main 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- VITEEE 2019 (Vellore Engineering Entrance Examination)
- COMEDK UGET 2019 Exam (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- MHT-CET Exam 2018 (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
Top Chemical Engineering Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering admissions in Chemical Engineering are: -
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Delhi
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Chennai
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Kanpur
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Roorkee
- IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Mumbai
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
Jobs and Career
There are ample job opportunities available for chemical engineers in the government and private sectors. In the coming years, the demand for chemical engineers will increase all the more with industrial expansion.
They can find jobs in fields like; agriculture, scientific research and development, food manufacturing, basic chemical manufacturing, oil & gas, health-care, petroleum and coal manufacturing, textile, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical companies.
Job Titles of Chemical Engineering: -
- Chemical Engineer
- Plant Managers
- Chemical Engineering Professor
- Production Engineer
- Chemical System Coordinator
- Purchase and Quality Control Executive
- Plant Designer
- Safety Management Officer
Chemical Engineering freshers can get attractive pay packages ranging from ₹2.5 lakhs to ₹4.5 lakhs per annum. With better experience and skills, the package increases and reaches ₹9 lakhs -₹12.5 lakhs per year.
Students from reputed colleges get placed in international firms and receive pay packages up to ₹20 lakhs per annum.
Students from well-known colleges and those with impressive internship experience may land a job with famous companies like: -
- Indian Oil Corporation
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Essar Oil Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Schlumberger Limited
- Johnson Matthey
- Rashtriya Chemicals
- Tata Chemicals
- Asian Paints
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories
- Exxon Mobil
- Arofine Polymers Ltd
- Bombay Dyeing
- Deepak Fertilizers and Petrochemicals Corp. Ltd
- Gujarat Alkalies & Chemicals Ltd