Anna University – Admissions, Courses, Exams & Counselling
About Anna University
Anna University is a 40-year-old State University located in Chennai. It offers higher education to the students in Architecture, Engineering, Technology, and Applied Sciences field. The university was established by integrating four renowned technical institutions in then Madras namely College of Engineering (CEG), Madras Institute of Technology, Alagappa Institute of Technology (ACT), School of Architecture & Planning (SAP).
Apart from the above-mentioned 4 universities, currently, Anna University has 3 Regional Campuses, 13 Constituent Colleges, and 593 Affiliated Colleges (Government, Government Aided, and Self-Financing Colleges). The university offers 29 undergraduate and 57 postgraduate programmes in affiliated institutions.
Overview of Anna University
- Establishment: 1978
- State: Tamil Nadu
- Recognitions: AICTE & UGC
- Campus Area: 185 acres
- Type: State University
- Affiliation: University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Distance Education: Yes
- Counselling: TNEA (Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission) and TANCA (Tamil Nadu Common Admissions Counselling)
- Admission Application Mode: Online (UG/ PG Courses)
- Reservation: Yes
Admission process for admission to various courses at Anna University is as follows:
- BE/ B.Tech/ B.Arch: TNEA Exam (Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission)
- B.Arch: NATA Exam (National Aptitude Test in Architecture)
- ME/ M.Tech: GATE Exam (Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering)/ TANCET Exam (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test) followed by TANCA Exam (Tamil Nadu Common Admissions Counseling)
- M.Sc/ M/Phill: University-Based Entrance Exam
- MS by Research/ Ph.D.: Written Test + Interview OR UGC NET Exam (University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test)/ CSIR NET Exam/ JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) / SLET (State Level Eligibility Test)
Anna University Eligibility
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
Category-Wise minimum marks in qualifying exam are as follows -
MINIMUM MARKS IN PCM
Backward Class (including backward class Muslim)
MBC & DNC
Scroll left or right to view full table
- Candidates from Tamil Nadu who have cleared VIII, IX, X, XI and XII (8th - 12th) exams from the state are eligible for admission.
- Natives of Tamil Nadu who have cleared any of class VIII, IX, X, XI, and XII (8th - 12th) exams from a school located outside the state of Tamil Nadu are also eligible for admission, however, they need to submit Nativity Certificate.
- Wards of employees working under Central Government are also eligible for admission provided their parents are employed in Tamil Nadu for the last 5 years.
- Candidates who have cleared VIII to XII from the state of Tamil Nadu are eligible for admission and don’t need to provide Nativity Certificate.
- Children of All India Service Tamil Nadu cadre officers are also considered eligible for admission to Anna University.
- Wards of employees working under Public Sector or Government recognized Institutions for the last 5 years at the time of application are also eligible.
AGE LIMIT: There is no age limit for seeking admission to Anna University except for candidates applying for Marine Engineering who must not be older than 25 years as on the last day of submission.
Office of the Controller of Examinations
Sardar Patel Road, Old Highways Building, Guindy,
Chennai - 600 025
Fax: 044-22301134 / 22350291