What is UGC NET? What Are the Career Choices after Qualifying UGC NET
Particularly, in India, it is a challenge to get a government job, considering the ever-increasing number of educated individuals. The government of India is making all the efforts to provide suitable job opportunities to the skilled, qualified candidates in various sectors, such as railways, banking, academic, etc. For candidates nurturing a dream of becoming a Professor or Researcher in Indian Colleges and Universities are required to UGC NET. By clearing the entrance test, candidates will be qualified to be posted in both government and private colleges and universities in the country.
What is UGC NET?
UGC NET or NTA UGC NET is an entrance examination conducted to determine the eligibility of the candidates for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship in universities and colleges in India. Organised by the National Testing Agency, University Grant Commission National Eligibility Test makes sure the minimum standards for the entrants in research and teaching professions well-maintained. Candidates must take note that those appearing and qualifying exclusively for Assistant Professor will not be considered for the award of Junior Research Fellowship. As per the recent PR released by the Indian Government, the UGC NET test will be organised twice a year in online mode. Till recently (July 2018), the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducted the NET exam in offline mode.
What Are the Career Choices after Clearing NTA UGC NET?
Besides getting placed in various Indian colleges and universities, the NET qualifiers are also eligible for many lucrative jobs in PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings). Let’s take a look at the list of career options that you would avail after clearing the National Eligibility Test.
- Career in Research (after clearing JRF): Passionate about discovering new things? You must appear in the NTA UGC NET JRF exam 2020 and get open to the following job opportunities –
- Pursue a career in Research in the best Indian colleges and universities
- Perform research in fields that fetch funding
- Start your own laboratory and hire skilled employees to work with you
- Look for companies or organisations offering you suitable job opportunities
- Junior Research Fellow
- Project Fellow
- Project Assistant/ Associate
- Career in Teaching: It is compulsory to clear NTA NET to become lecturer or professor in the colleges and universities in the country. Based on your qualification, position and skills, candidates will be given opportunities to teach undergrads, post-doctoral fellows and professional students.
- Junior Assistant Professor
- Senior Assistant professor
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
- Assistant professor (Selection Grade)
- Career across other Academic Departments: What if you don’t want to teach or perform research? You will have the underneath choices
- Program Executive
- IP Lead
- Lab Trainer
- Coaching Tutor (Online/ Offline)
- Guest Faculty
- Centre Manager
- Transmission Executive
- Career in PSUs: The good thing is that the Public Sector Organisations use the UGC NET scores for various profiles. Some of the PSUs that consider NET score are –
- Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL) Ambernath
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Oil India Limited (OIL)
Whether you wish to pursue a career in research or teaching or in PSUs sector, it is inevitable to qualify. This year, the National Eligibility Test will be conducted in the month of June from 15th to 20th June 2020. The last date to submit the UGC NET 2020 application form is 16th April. The last date to remit the application fee is 17th April 2020.