NIOS has turned to MHRD for intervening in the MCI debarment issue. Check out complete updates on the issue.
14 February 2018: The Medical Council of India’s decision to exclude students of open schooling system from the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) has provoked protests in various cities across the nation. All the affected medical aspirants have come together to challenge the same in the Supreme Court.
A few months back, the Medical Council of India (MCI), had ordered that all students studying under or passed out from the open school boards (including the National Institute of Open Schooling) will not be allowed to appear for NEET 2018, the reason being theses boards don’t conduct practical exams in science subjects.
Following this event, the Union Human Resource Development Minister, Mr. Prakash Javadekar had a meeting with the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Mr. J.P. Nadda where he urged that the orders rolled out by the MCI should be reversed.
The Health Ministry had subsequently sent a letter to the MCI for reconsidering its order. However, with the release of NEET 2018 notification by the Central Board of Secondary Education (exam conducting authority) on 8 February, it came out that no changes have been made.
As per a CBSE official; “In the notification, we have gone ahead with the MCI rule as we are just responsible for carrying out the test and rules are entirely framed by the MCI.”
A senior office bearer in the MCI has confirmed receiving of the health ministry letter. However, he said the issue of reconsideration will be discussed only in an executive committee meeting in the month of March.
This delay has left the students angry and they are protesting for the ‘injustice’. NIOS has reached the Ministry of Human Resource & Development (MHRD) on Tuesday to solve the matter with Health Ministry on urgent basis as the last date of filling the NEET application form is 09 March 2018 and the future of large number of open school students is on stake.
According to CBSE data, a total of 1,412 students of open school boards (including NIOS) had qualified the exam (NEET) last year. In this regard, an NIOS official said; “This clearly means that performance from open schools has been remarkable in NEET and there is no fair logic by which the students of recognised boards can be barred from a test that is the only gateway for a career in various fields of medicine”