Electronics and Communication Engineering ECE – Scope in India
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) is one of the fastest growing branches of engineering. It focuses on basic electronics as well as reception and digital transmission of data.
With the increasing use of electronics such as smartphones, computers, and television, this field has become the top choice for most students. The job of an electronics and communication engineer is to design and maintain advanced communication systems.
Students opting for ECE, learn how to develop sophisticated electronic devices, equipment, and circuits. They also get to understand the basics of telecommunication systems.
ECE mainly focuses on applying science and math to practical problems in the field of communications. All in all, ECE is a mix of Communication Engineering with Electronics Engineering.
Eligibility Criteria for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
To pursue a course in ECE, students need to meet the following criteria:
- Class 10th pass outs can opt for a Diploma course in ECE and become Junior Engineers.
- Any student who has completed 10+2 in Science – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics can apply for the undergraduate programme.
- To apply for the M.E or M.Tech course, a student requires having a B.E or B.Tech degree.
Duration for Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The duration for a full-time Diploma, Bachelors or Masters course in ECE are:
- Diploma – 3 years (After class 10th)
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years (After class 12th)
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years (After graduation)
Students of ECE focus on the following areas of study:
- Digital Electronics
- Signals and System
- Control Systems
- Network Theory
- Analog & Digital Communication
- Wireless Communication
- Antenna Theory
- Digital Image Processing
Top ECE Entrance Exams
Engineering aspirants can seek admissions in ECE via entrance exams. These entrance exams take place at the National, State and University level. Several institutes select candidates based on the merit list of JEE Main.
Top entrance exam for Electronics and Communication Engineering are: -
- JEE Main 2019
- JEE Advanced 2019
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- UPSEE 2019 (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
Top Universities & Colleges
The competition in the ECE field is very high thus students need to score an excellent rank in entrance exams to get a spot in top colleges.
Top Colleges offering admissions in Electronics and Communication Engineering are: -
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- BITS - Pilani
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
Jobs and Career
Electronics and Communication Engineers are best suited for industries such as telecommunication and software. There are various job opportunities available for them in both public as well as private sectors.
An electronic and communication engineer can work in fields like radio and television, consumer electronics, computer application, avionics and aviation, diagnostic equipment manufacturing, electricity plant, and manufacturing. Electronics and Communication Engineers are the perfect choices for the electronic goods and electronic start-up sectors.
Different Job Titles under ECE are:-
- Electronics Technician
- Electronics Engineer
- Senior Sales Manager
- Electronics and Communications Consultant
- Network Planning Engineer
- Field Test Engineer
- Customer Support Engineer
- Technical Director
- Associate Firstline Technician
- Research and Development Software Engineer
- Service Engineer
Salaries of EC engineers depend on a range of factors. These factors include the employee’s qualifications, skills, aptitude, and experience. A fresher can expect a salary package starting from ₹3.5 lakhs to ₹4.5 lakhs.
In abroad, the engineers receive $60,000 to $70,000 per year. The overall package increases massively once the engineer gains a 2-year experience.
Some of the well-known companies that require Electronics and Communication Engineers are: -
- Texas Instruments
- HCL Technologies
- Philips Electronics
- Conexant and Flextronics
- General Electric
- Tech Mahindra