CUCET 2020 Syllabus - Exam Pattern and Subject-Wise Syllabus
Last Modified on : 26 Jan 2022 Author : Himanshu Basant Bhatt
The exam conducting authority for the CUCET exam releases the CUCET 2020 syllabus. Candidates interested in appearing for the exam can check the syllabus for the undergraduate and postgraduate courses at the official website. We are also providing the CUCET 2020 syllabus for the exam in the article here. The questions in the exam will be asked from the topics of the syllabus only. The CUCET exam is conducted jointly by the fourteen central universities.
CUCET 2020 Exam Pattern
The UG level exam comprises of two parts as under:
Number of Questions
Subject-related questions (PCB or PCM)
Scroll left or right to view full table
CUCET 2020 Syllabus
Questions will be asked from Numerical Aptitude/ Data Interpretation, Reasoning, Analytical Skills, and General Aptitude. Preparation books are available in the market for the exam. You can also practice from the previous year’s question papers.
In Part-B, candidates must answer questions from Physics and Chemistry and select one from Mathematics or Biology. The syllabus for each section are mentioned as under:
- Dimensional analysis and error estimation
- Dimensional compatibility and significant figures.
Motion in one dimension
- Average velocity, instantaneous velocity, one-dimensional motion with constant accelerations, freely falling bodies.
Laws of Motion
- Force and inertia, Newton's laws of motion, and their significance
Motion in two dimensions
- Projectile motion, uniform circular motion, tangential and radial acceleration in curve-linear motion, relative motion and relative acceleration.
Work, Power, and Energy
- Work was done by a constant and variable forces, kinetic and potential energy, power, Conservative and non-conservative forces, conservation of energy, gravitational energy, work-energy theorem, the potential energy stored in the spring.
Linear Momentum & collisions
- Linear momentum & impulse, conservation of linear momentum for the two-particle system, collisions, collision in one dimension, collision in two dimensions, rocket propulsion.
Rotation of a rigid body about a fixed axis
- Angular velocity and angular acceleration, rotational kinematics, rotational motion with constant angular acceleration relationship between angular and linear quantities, rotational energy, moment of inertia for a ring, rod, spherical shell, sphere and plane lamina, torque and angular acceleration, work and energy in rotational motion, rolling motion of a solid sphere and cylinder
- Gravitational Field, Kepler's laws and motion of planets, planetary and satellite motion, geostationary satellite.
- Harmonic motion, oscillatory motion of the mass attached to a spring, Time Period of a simple pendulum, kinetic & potential energy, comparing simple and harmonic motion with uniform circular motion, damped oscillations, forced oscillations, and resonance.
Mechanics of solids and fluids
- States of matter young's modulus, bulk modulus, shear modulus of rigidity, variations of pressure with depth, Buoyant Forces and Archimedes principle, Pascal's law, Bernoulli's theorem and its application, surface tension, surface energy, the angle of contact, capillary rise, the coefficient of viscosity, viscous force, terminal velocity, Stoke's law, streamline motion, Reynold's numbers.
Heat and Thermodynamics
- The first law of thermodynamics, the specific heat of an ideal gas at constant volume and constant pressure, the relation between them, thermodynamics process (reversible, irreversible, isothermal, adiabatic), the second law of thermodynamics, the concept of entropy and concept of absolute scale, the efficiency of a Carnot engine, thermal conductivity, Newton's law of cooling, black body radiation, Wien's displacement law, Stefan's law.
- Wave motion, phase, Newton's formula for longitudinal waves, amplitude and velocity of the wave, propagation of sound waves in air, effect of temperature and pressure on the velocity of sound, Principle of superposition, Laplace's correction, the formation of standing waves, standing waves in strings and pipes, beats, Doppler's effect.
- Coulomb's law, electric field and potential due to a point charge, dipole and its field along axis and perpendicular to an axis, electric flux, and inside a hollow conducting sphere, capacitance, Gauss's theorem and its applications to find field due to an infinite sheet of charge, parallel plate capacitor with air and dielectric medium between Plates, series and parallel combination of capacitors, the energy of a capacitor, displacement currents.
- Concept of free and bound electrons drift velocity and mobility, electric current, Ohm's law, resistivity, conductivity, resistance in series and a parallel combination, temperature dependency of resistance, Kirchoff’s law and their application to a network of resistances, the principle of a potentiometer, effect of temperature on resistance and its application.
Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetic field due to current, Biot-Savart's law, magnetic field due to a solenoid, the motion of charge in a magnetic field, the force on current-carrying conductors and torque on the current loop in a magnetic field, magnetic flux, forces between two parallel current-carrying conductors, moving coil galvanometer and its conversion into ammeter and voltmeter.
Magnetism in Matter
- The magnetization of substance due to orbital and spin motions of electrons, the magnetic moment of atoms, diamagnetism, paramagnetism, ferromagnetism, earth's magnetic field and its components and their measurement.
- Induced emf, Faraday's laws, Lenz's law, electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction, B-H curve, hysteresis loss and its importance, eddy currents
Ray Optics and Optical Instruments
- Sources of light, luminous flux, luminous intensity, illuminance, photometry, wave nature of light, Huygen's theory for the propagation of light and rectilinear propagation of light, the reflection of light, reflection and refraction at spherical surfaces, total internal reflection, the focal length of a combination of lenses, spherical and chromatic aberration and their removal, refraction and dispersion of light due to a prism, simple and compound microscope, reflecting and refracting telescope, magnifying power and resolving power
- Coherent and incoherent sources of light, interference, young's double-slit experiment diffraction due to a single slit, linearly polarised light, Polaroid.
- Bohr's concept. Quantum numbers, Electronic configuration, Molecular orbital theory for homonuclear molecules, Pauli's exclusion principle.
- Electrovalency, co-valency, hybridization involving s,p and d orbitals hydrogen bonding.
- Oxidation number, oxidizing and reducing agents, balancing of equations
Chemical Equilibrium and Kinetics
- Equilibrium constant (for a gaseous system only) Le Chaterlier's principle, ionic equilibrium, hydrolysis, Ostwald's dilution law, solubility product, pH and buffer solution, common-ion effect, rate constant and first-order reaction.
- Bronsted Lowry & Lewis.
- Electrode potential and electrochemical series
- Types and applications
- Types and preparation, Brownian movement, Tyndall effect, coagulation, and peptization
Colligative Properties of Solution
- Lowering of vapour pressure, Osmotic pressure, the elevation of boiling point, depression of freezing point, determination of molecular weight.
- Classification of elements on the basis of electronic configuration, ionization potential, properties of s, p and d block elements, electronegativity & electron affinity.
Preparation and Properties of the following
- Hydrogen peroxide. copper sulphate, silver nitrate, borax, Mohr's salt, plaster of Paris, alums, microcosmic salt and bleaching powder, white and red lead, sodium thiosulphate.
- Exothermic & endothermic reactions Heat of reaction, Heat of combustion & formation, neutralization, Hess's law
General Organic Chemistry
- Shape of organic compounds, Inductive effect, mesomeric effect, electrophiles & nucleophiles,
- Carbonation, carbanions & free radical, Cannizzaro Friedel Craft, Types of organic reactions, Perkin, Aldol condensation.
- Structural, Geometrical & Optical IUPAC: Nomenclature of simple organic compounds
- Addition & condensation polymers
Preparation and Properties of the Followings
- Hydrocarbons, aldehydes, ketones, monohydric alcohols, monocarboxylic acids, benzene, nitrobenzene, primary amines, aniline, phenol, benzoic acid, benzaldehyde, Grignard Reagent.
- Structure of simple ionic compounds, Crystal imperfections (point defects only), Born-Haber cycle
- Important industrial fractions, octane number, cracking, anti knocking compounds.
- Sets relations & functions, Mapping Inverse relations, De-Morgan's Law, Equivalence relations, Peano's axioms, Indices and surds, Solutions of simultaneous and quadratic equations, Definition of rationals and integers through equivalence relation, A.P., G.P. and H.P., Special sums i.e. ∑n2 and ∑n3 (n∑N ), Binomial theorem for any index, Partial fraction, exponential series, Logarithm and Logarithmic series. Determinants and their use in solving simultaneous linear equations, Algebra of matrices, Matrices, Inverse of a matrix, Use of a matrix for solving equations.
- Definition, Dependent, and independent events, Numerical problem on addition and multiplication, Theorem of probability
- Identities, Trigonometric equations, solution of triangles, properties of triangles, heights and distances, Inverse function, Complex numbers and their properties, Cube roots of unity, De-Moivre's theorem.
- Pair of straight lines, General equation of second degree, Circles, parabola, ellipse, and hyperbola, tracing of conic.
- Limits & Continuity of functions, tangents & normal, Differentiation of function, Simple examples of Maxima & Minima, Integration of function by parts, Indeterminate forms, by substitution and by partial fraction, application to volumes and surfaces of frustums of a sphere, definite integral, cone, and cylinder. Differential equations of the first order and of a first degree.
- Algebra of vectors, scalar and vector products of two and three vectors and their applications.
- Velocity,- composition of velocity, relative velocity, acceleration, the composition of accelerations, Projectiles, Motion under gravity, Principles of conservation of momentum and energy, Laws of motion, a direct impact of smooth bodies.
- Composition of coplanar, determination of centroid in simple cases, concurrent and parallel forces moments and couples resultant of a set of coplanar forces and condition of equilibrium, Problems involving friction.
Origin of Life
- Oparin's theory, Miller's Experiment, Viruses - structure, distribution, properties, classification, and pathogenesis (Eg. Aids, Cancer), Viroids & Prions, Biotic balance.
- The relationship among organisms and Evidence of Organic Evolution - Principles of Evolution - Lamarckism, Darwinism, and Speciation.
Mechanism of Organic Evolution
- Variations - Definition, causes and types, Role of mutations in speciation, Mutations (Principles of Hugo DeVries). Evolution through ages and human evolution
Human Genetics and Eugenics
- Human hereditary traits, study of Twins, A.B.O. blood groups and their inheritance, Sex determination, Rh-factor. Chromosomal aberrations, Important human syndromes, Sex-linked characters and their inheritance, Applied Genetics - eugenics, euthenics, euphenics & I.Q. Test.
- Wildlife of India - Endangered species: Biosphere Reserves, National Parks, and sanctuaries, Conservation of wildlife, Project Tiger, Bio-energy, Fisheries (edible fishes), Human Population, Poultry, Population explosion, problems & control. Test - Tube Babies, & Amniocentesis, Application of Biotechnology in human welfare. Human Aging.
Mammalian Anatomy (Eg. Rabbit)
- Reproductive system (excluding embryonic development) Osteology, structure, and organization of different systems.
- Animal Nutrition: Food, Nutritional imbalances and deficiency diseases, Balanced Diet, Digestion, Absorption, Assimilation of food, (comparison between human and Rabbit).
- Animal Excretion and Osmoregulation: Chemical nature of excretory products in various animals, Physiology of excretion, Formation of urine, Function of liver and kidney (Homeostatic regulatory functions of kidneys), Osmoregulation by kidneys.
- Respiratory system: Exchange and transport of gases (O2 and Co2) factors affecting O2 and Co2 transport, different lung volumes, Cellular respiration, breathing and sound production.
- Nervous systems: Central, autonomic and peripheral nervous system, Receptors, Effectors, Reflex action. Nature and Conduction of Nerve- impulses, Sense organs - Structure & working of Eye & Ear, Synapse, Biochemistry of vision and taste buds.
- Endocrine System: Different endocrine glands and Hormones - definition, types, characteristics and their functions, (in relation to human beings), Hormonal disorders and pheromones.
- Circulatory System: Circulation of body fluids- Blood and lymph, Open and closed vascular systems, Structure and working Physiology of Heart, Comparison between arteries and veins, Lymphatic system.
- Animal Diversity: Classification of Animal Kingdom (Based on Star & Eisinger), the Characteristic feature of different phyla and classes with examples.
- Amoeba- Habit & Habitat, locomotion, structure, reproduction, Osmoregulation, Parasitic amoebae - Entamoeba histolytic and Entamoeba gingivitis, structure, diseases caused by them and their control measures
- Plasmodium vivax-life-cycle, malaria therapy and control
- Protozoan and diseases
- Porifera: A simple sponge ( Leucosolenia), Detailed study of structure & physiology, Sponge industry.
- Coelenterata: Hydra - Habit and Habitat, morphology, tissue differentiation in relation to physiological division of labour and regeneration.
- Aschelminthes: Ascaris- morphology, life-cycle, therapy, and control.
- Annelida: Pheretima Posthuma - Bionomics and economic importance.
- Arthropoda: (Periplaneta): Structure- external and internal.
- Plant Cell: Structure & Functions electron microscopic structured mitochondria, Plastids centrosomes. Lysosomes, endoplasmic reticulum, microsomes, Nucleus, Golgi bodies, D.N.A & R.N.A. Cytoplasm, membranes, and cell wall.
- Protoplasm: Structure, components physical and chemical properties. Cell division (formation) - Amitosis & Meiosis, free cell formation, Duplication of D.N.A.
- Ecology: Ecological factors (atmospheric, climatic, edaphic, geological & biotic factors).
- Ecosystem: Structure and components of ecosystem eg. Water-soluble minerals and gases, decomposers, producers consumers, Pond and forest ecosystem. Atmospheric pollution-causes and control, Types of pollution - Detergents, Chemicals automobile exhaust, Smog, Radioactive matter, sound, Pesticides.
- Genetics: Mendelism, Mendel's experiment and law of inheritance. Modern Classification of the plant kingdom- (according to Ostwald & Hippo) (outline).
- Seeds in angiosperm plants: Description of the development of angiosperms plants (life history of angiosperm plants).
- Fruits: Dispersal of fruits and seeds
- Cell differentiation Plant Tissue: Meristematic classification of meristematic & permanent tissue and functions and classification of tissue system.
- Anatomy of Root, stem, and leaf: Difference between Dicot and Monocot stem, Secondary growth of stem and root, Anatomy of hydrophytes, Xerophytes &
- Algae: Habitat, general characters & uses, description of liotrix & spirogyra.
- Bacteria: Structure - types of nutrition, reproduction, and economic importance.
- Fungi: Structure description of Rhizopus and yeast and their economic importance, Fermentation.
- Bryophyta: Structure and economic importance of Bryophyta, Description of Fusaria (Moss)
- Pteridophyta: General structures of pteridophytes description of fern (Dryopteris), Classification of Angiosperms, General study of Gymnosperms and life history of Cycas, Description of families - identification and economic importance Cruciferae, Malvaceae, Leguminosae, composite, Cucurbitaceae.
- Soil: Absorption of water through root hairs Osmosis, Translocation, and Root pressure Nitrogen cycle, Special modes of nutrition in plants (Autotrophic, Saprophytes, heterotrophic, Parasites, Symbionts insectivorous and their ecological relations.
- Photosynthesis: Chloroplast, light, chlorophyll and Carbon dioxide, Mechanism of Photosynthesis formation of A.T.P. and their functions and importance of photosynthesis. Transpiration: factors and importance, Mechanism of opening and closing of stomata, Respiration: Aerobic, Mechanism of Respiration (Glycolysis, Kreb's cycle, E.T.S.), anaerobic respiration, Growth & movement: Definition of growth, Region of growth & their measurements, Types of movements in plants, Growth hormone.