The Sardar Patel College of Engineering is inspired by and dedicated to the exponent of freedom struggle Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel. Its foundation was laid in 1961 by the Chief Minister of the State Mr Yashwant Rao Chawan. It was inaugurated in 1962 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who was the first Prime Minister of India.
There are two entities of the Sardar Patel College of Engineering, namely SPCE and SPIT. There are certain courses of engineering like Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil which receive government aid whereas some others like Computer, Electronics and Information Technology were self-financed. Thus, the self –financed engineering courses were separated to be taught at the SPIT (Sardar Patel Institute of Technology).
SPCE: Affiliations and Accreditations
- The college is affiliated with the Mumbai University. It is given Grade ‘A’ by the Mumbai University.
- The college receives government funds and aids.
- The UGC has given it an autonomous status in 2010.
- It is an AICTE approved college.
The SPCE is counted among the first 50 engineering and technical colleges of India.
SPCE: On-Campus Facilities
Within the campus premises itself, students get all sorts of facilities. This enables them to get a quality learning experience. There are libraries, hostels, internet, canteens, laboratories, and research centres and sports clubs in the college campus.
Annual Festivals and Activities
- SPECTRA – This is an annual technological festival of the college. Participants are invited from across the country to present their works or research.
- SPACE – This is an annual cultural event of the SPCE. It is a popular cultural programme in which students from all over Maharashtra participates.
- SPIRIT – This is an annual sports event of the SPCE. Students can show their sports spirit in this annual event.
- Disha – This is a college magazine which provides information about the college activities and latest developments in the science and technological field.
- Departments – It has total 4 departments.