The IIT Bombay is also referred as IITB or IIT Powai. It is the second Indian Institute of Technology to be established after IIT Kharagpur. The IIT Kharagpur was established in 1951 and on the similar line; the IIT Bombay was founded in 1958 with the help of the UNESCO and the then Soviet Union. The Indian Institute of Technology were formed after the recommendations of the parliamentary committee to form four IITs. These IITs were established to set higher standards of technical learning in the country.
IIT Bombay: Affiliations and Accreditations
- It is a Public Engineering institution.
- In 1961 the IIT Bombay was declared as the Institute of National Importance.
- By QS World University Ranking for 2018 – IIT Bombay is ranked 179.
- By QS Asia University Ranking for 2018 – The IIT Bombay is ranked 34.
- Among BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South-Africa) countries universities – IIT Bombay is ranked 9th.
IIT Bombay: On-Campus Facilities
Area – The college campus is spread in area of 550 acres.
Location – The College is located in the East Mumbai near to the Sanjay Gandhi National Park and Powai and Vihar lakes.
Annual Festivals and Activities –
Drupal – It is an annual international conference on the Web framewok Drupal which is hosted by the IITB time to time.
Tech-fest – It is one of the Asia’s biggest annual technical festivals which are attended by scientist and innovators from around the world.
Individual Technological festivals held by different engineering streams like –
- Material Science Engineering Stream – organises ‘Padarth’
- Mechanical Engineering Stream - organises ‘Radiance’
- Chemical Engineering Stream – organises ‘AZeotrophy’.
Mood Indigo – Annual cultural programme which is attended by popular personalities from different fields. For example – Aamir Khan, Mark Tully, Sachin Tendulkar etc have graced the festival.
Entrepreneur Cell – To help the start-ups to grow.
Hostels – There are total 16 hostels.
Sports and NCC – The campus has swimming pools and indoor and outdoor sports facilities.
Departments – There are total 17 academic departments and 3 schools of excellence.