Scope of Mechanical Engineering (ME) in India After Class 12th
Mechanical Engineering (ME) is an engineering discipline that deals with designing, manufacturing, analysis, and use of machines. A mechanical engineer uses knowledge of physics, material science and mathematics to design, construct and operate machines.
Developed in the 19th century, it is the oldest and the most relevant branch of engineering. It is incredibly diverse and broad in nature. Students having an interest in the making and processing of machines should definitely take up this course. It helps students built an understanding of kinematics, materials science, thermodynamics, electricity and structural analysis.
Eligibility Criteria for Mechanical Engineering
Candidates are eligible to apply for Mechanical Engineering courses if they meet the following criteria: -
- A student who has completed class 10th is eligible to apply for the diploma course.
- Students who have successfully passed class 12th can apply for the undergraduate programme.
- To apply for the undergraduate and diploma course, Mathematics and Physics are the compulsory subjects.
- Students must have a Bachelors (B.Tech) degree to apply for the Masters/post -graduation (M.Tech) programme.
Duration for Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Courses
The duration for all the three programmes of Mechanical Engineering are as follows: -
- Diploma – 3 years (After class 10th)
- B.E or B.Tech – 4 years (After class 12th)
- M.E or M.Tech - 2 years (After graduation)
Students study all the common Engineering subjects in the first year of graduation. From 3rd semester onwards, i.e. from 2nd year, the focus shifts on subjects such as: -
- Manufacturing Process
- Material Science
- Theory of Machines
- Fluid Mechanics
- Dynamics of Machines
- Machine Design
- Electrical Machines and Electronics
- IC Engines
- Kinematics of Machines
- Industrial Drafting
- Power Engineering
- Control Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Safety Technology and Management
- Product Design
- Quality Engineering
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Machine Tools Design
- Energy Sources and Energy Management
Some of these subjects appear in more than one semester. For example, students get to study Engineering Mathematics in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th semester. Other than the theoretical subjects, students of B.E or B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering have practical, workshops and lab sessions.
Top Entrance Exams
Educational institutes conduct entrance exam to provide admissions in Mechanical Engineering. These entrance exams take place on a National, State and University level. Students also have an option of distance education or online education to pursue this course.
Top entrance exam for Mechanical Engineering are: -
- GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering)
- JEE Main 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced 2019 (All India Entrance Examination)
- BITSAT Exam 2019 (Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- UPSEE 2019 (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- COMEDK UGET 2019 Exam (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- VITEEE 2019 Exam (Vellore Engineering Entrance Examination)
Some of the top colleges offering admissions in Mechanical Engineering are: -
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS - Pilani)
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Thiruchirapalli
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
Mechanical Engineering Jobs and Career
There are jobs available for mechanical engineers in the field of automobiles, production, bio-mechanical industry, manufacturing, air conditioning, steel plants, services, and development. They can find plenty of jobs in both the private and public sectors. There is also a need for mechanical engineering experts and consultants in the government sector.
Job Titles of Mechanical Engineering are:-
- Chief Mechanical Engineer
- Nuclear Engineer
- Heating Specialist Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
- Cryogenics Engineer
- Design Engineer – Mechanical
- Robotics Engineer
- Nuclear Engineer
- Heating Specialist Engineer
- Acoustics Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Building Systems Engineer
- Power Plant Engineer
- Mould Design Engineer
- Thermal Power Engineer
- Lubrication Engineer
- Tool Engineer
Freshers in the field of Mechanical Engineers get ₹3 lakhs to ₹5 lakhs per annum. Students from reputed colleges get salary packages up to 20 lakhs per annum. The pay packages depend on various other factors such as experience, qualification, job roles and responsibilities.
Mechanical engineers in abroad receive $80,580/annum. The more skilled and experienced a person, the higher is the pay package.
Some of the well-known companies that require Electronics and Communication Engineers are: -
- Tata Motors
- Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute
- COAL INDIA
- Design tech system Ltd