How To Apply For UPSC IAS Examination?
Published on : 10th November 2017 Author : Tanvi Mittal
Application process for Indian Administrative Services (IAS) is online and is done through the official UPSC website www.upsconline.nic.in. The application form filling process of IAS is completed in two parts. Here is the step-wise procedure of filling the UPSC IAS Exam application form 2018. Please note that incomplete application forms are not accepted by the commission.
UPSC IAS – How to Apply (Part 1)?
Candidates can follow any of the following ways:
- Go to www.upsc.gov.in, click on “UPSC Online Applications” and you will be redirected to the link mentioned in the next point. Now follow the instructions given in point 2.
- Go to www.upsconline.nic.in and click on “Online Application for Various Examinations of UPSC”. Follow the process given below on the page that appears.
The IAS application process is completed in two parts. Let’s start with Part I.
- Personal Details: Candidates are required to enter their name, date of birth, gender, father’s name, mother’s name, PH status, marital status, nationality etc. in personal details.
- Contact Details: Candidates also have to provide contact details such as address, mobile number and email id. Please ensure that you provide a valid mobile number and email id as these will be used for communication throughout the exam.
- Now click on the “Continue” button at the end of the page, you will be redirected to a new page. You will be asked if you want to apply for age relaxation. If you come under the age-relaxation provision, apply for it and click “Continue”.
- Academic Details: They include qualification, stream and marks obtained in graduation level. For CGPA, follow the rules of concerned Institution/University.
- Other Details: Number of attempts, exam centre, papers language etc. should be filled carefully as no changes are allowed in these fields in later stages.
- Click on “Continue” button at the bottom of the page. All the information entered by the candidate will be displayed. Check the details carefully. If you wish to change any information, click on “Update” button. (Please Note: Any request for change or edit in the information submitted through the application form will not be entertained throughout the examination process.)
- Click on “I Agree” button to submit the details. If you fit in the eligibility criteria for the exam, a unique Registration ID is generated.
- You will be intimated that Part 1 of the registration process is complete. However, the registration will complete only after successful completion of Part 2 registration.
- Note down you registration ID and password for future requirements.
UPSC IAS – How to Apply (Part 2)?
On the www.upsconline.nic.in page, click on the link for “Part II” registration.
The second part of the registration process includes three steps:
- Fee Payment (SC/ST/PH/Female candidates are exempted from fee payment)
- Examination Centre Selection
- Uploading Photo and Signature
Let’s have a look on all steps separately.
Candidates have three options to make the fee payment:
- Cash payment at any State Bank of India (SBI) branch through the E-Challan slip/Pay-in-Slip generated online. After paying the fee through this mode, applicants are required to enter the transaction id and continue with the form filling.
- Online payment using VISA/Master Debit or Credit card
- Online payment through internet banking facility of the "State Bank of India/State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Travancore/State Bank of Patiala" etc.
EXAMINATION CENTRE SELECTION
After paying the fee, applicants must select the examination centre for Civil Services (Prelims) and click on the “Submit” button.
UPLOADING PHOTO AND SIGNATURE
The final step of application form filling Part – 2 includes uploading photograph and signature. Here are the specifications candidates need to follow:
- Photograph and Signature must be in .jpg format.
- The size limits are:
- Both photograph and signature should not exceed 40KB. The pixel size for photograph is 140 pixels height x 110 pixels width and for signature is 110pixels height x 140 pixels width.
- The minimum size for photograph is 3 KB and signature is 1 KB.
- Both signature and photograph must be clear.
After completing all the three steps, a page appears showing the preview of uploaded images. If the image is not clear, click on “Refresh” button to upload again. Confirm the upload and you will see a message of successful submission of the form. Applicants can take a print of the final page. However, they are not required to send hard copy of the same or any other document to the commission.
Please note that the commission has all rights to carry out eligibility verification at any stage of the examination process, so make sure you fulfil all the eligibility criteria.