UGC PG Scholarship Programme for University Rank Holders
Published on : 3rd January 2018 Author : Tanvi Mittal
The UGC (University Grant Commission) which is the nodal body for the higher education in India runs Post-Graduate Scholarship Programme for University Rank Holders to motivate them to pursue Master’s programme. This step has been undertaken in view of the negative trend that has pervaded among young students to not get enrolled in the higher studies. Education, especially higher education is believed to play a crucial role in changing the standard of living of people and bring about their holistic development. Thus, it is important to attract young students to higher education.
The UGC has issued instructions to all Universities/ Colleges to issue a Rank –Certificate to the top-ranked students in B. Sc, B. Com, and B.A. On the basis of which they can avail the scholarship benefit for 2 years for pursuing Master’s programme.
The total number of the scholarship is 3000.
The benefit under the PG Scholarship Programme for the University Rank Holder
- Those students who are selected for the scholarship are given ₹3,100 per month for 2 years.
- Students will not be given any other additional benefits like Medical or HRA allowances.
Eligibility for the PG Scholarship Programme for the University Rank Holder
- The applicants should have taken admission in the 1st year of the Post-graduate programme in any UGC approved University/ deemed University/ Private college/ Autonomous college or Post-graduate college. It should be a regular, full-time course and not the part-time course.
- The students who have pursued their education in Distance learning are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- They should be the First or the Second Rank-Holders at the University level exam and not the mere position holders.
- The applicants should not be more than 30 years of age at the time of applications for the scholarship benefit.
- They should have scored a minimum of 60% marks at the University/ college level exam.
- The applicants should have done Bachelor’s in any one of the following course to become eligible for the scholarship –
- Science subjects - Physical Sciences Life Sciences Chemical Sciences Earth Sciences Mathematical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Agency for Disbursing the UGC PG Scholarship Grant to Students
- The UGC selects agencies for disbursing the award benefits to the students. Through the selected agencies, the scholarship grant is transferred directly into the bank account of the beneficiary student with effect from the date of joining the Master’s programme.
- In order to avail the benefit of the scholarship, students should visit the designated agency along with the award –letter by the UGC and the Master’s course joining letter issued by the University and Aadhaar Card.
- The beneficiary students are required to produce the performance report to the UGC at the end of the first year of their Master’s.
They are also required to submit the ‘Scholarship Continuation Certificate’ at the end of every 3 months with the award disbursing agencies.