Pursuing a career in Architecture is not only interesting and lucrative but also assures longevity. As India’s infrastructural growth is in developing phase and that too at a rapid rate, the scope for students looking to pursue a career in Architecture is vast. However, to undertake a job in the architectural field, one needs to study hard enough. There are basically following stages to become a licensed architect –
- Completing a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture.
- Completing a Master’s degree in Architecture.
- Gaining relevant experience through an internship.
Earning a Bachelor’s degree in Architect is basically the first step toward becoming an architect. Generally, the duration of Bachelor in Architecture degree (B.Arch) is 5 years. After B.Arch, students can continue with Master’s Degree in Architecture (M.Arch) which may take 2 years more.
In order to be eligible to apply for undergraduate programmes for studying architecture, a candidate needs to pass the higher secondary school (Class XII) examination with Science subjects such as Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Responsibility and Accountability
- Ability to comprehend complicated legal terms related to the profession.
- Supervisory skills
- Flexibility and patience
When a candidate completes his/her degree and/or master course in Architecture, he/she becomes eligible for following job profiles after meeting the required eligibility.
- Architectural Technologist
- CAD Technician
- Interior and Spatial Designer
- Building Surveyor
- Construction Manager
- Structural Engineer
- Town Planner
- Historic buildings inspector/conservation officer